1. Bad news is, Nellie has another line of stitches. *sigh* Good news is, it was made by a branch, or some other single-pointed sharp thing, not dog teeth. So, while we can surmise that it likely happened while playing, at least it was because of Nellie’s dopey sighthound-ness: “I’m running! Look at me run! I run fast! See me ru—- Ow.”, and not because of bad behavior on the part of the puppy.
Getting tired of this, though. Really tired…
2. On the puppy front, the trainer we went to see suggested using a head-halter on Xe to curb some of her more stubborn non-walking behaviors while we’re trying to make some miles. Holy moly, what a difference. Instead of shying at/lunging at cars, she ignores them. Instead of attempting to stop and sniff every. single. blade. of grass. in the town, she stays at my side, matching her pace to mine. She may not be enjoying her walks as much as previously, but I sure am enjoying them more.
It’s a nifty set up. It’s basically set up with a buckle around the back of the head, behind the ears, and then the leash attaches to a loop over the snout. I have hers set really loosely, because she likes to pant with her tongue lolling, but she feels even a finger-twitch of pressure on the leash and anticipates it so her head doesn’t get moved away from whatever she’s looking at. She’s never been horrible on-leash, but this is a whole new level of ease. Hoping to use it for a month or so and then gradually transition her back to the collar simply for ease of set up. But seriously, this is a wonderful product and one that I feel good about using. I know from experience that pinch-collars work, too, but I never liked the idea of causing even a pain-scoffing dog any pain at all. And this isn’t painful in the slightest–just aggravating to her when she ignores me, which cause/effect I can live with!
3. Had a small dinner party a couple of nights ago, and it was so nice to have grown ups over! Granted, we also had a 2yo & an infant, but it was very fun. Wine was tasty and I was able to use up some of my surplus of lettuce, unset-peach preserves, and radishes. Plus, I was able to make a pan of lemon bars & send the extras home with them, so I don’t have to have them around to tempt me. Win all around!
4. Kiddo was stung by a wasp or a hornet and it hurt him like the dickens. Happily, he’s apparently not allergic, so yay for a sting happening while I could be hovering with an (expired) epi-pen at the ready. I’m actually really glad he’s been stung, just so I know…
5. CICADAS ARE HERE! I’m not sure why this makes me so happy, but it’s the one thing I miss about super-hot Arizona summers, so the few weeks of cicada buzz we get around here make the hot nastiness of mid-summer something to look forward to. (And now, I’m ready for autumn, pumpkins, and tomato harvests…)