1. My, oh my how that time does fly. Seriously, I knew the end of summer would be nuts, but it’s been like, a month and a half. Sorry about that. Traveling, celebrating weddings & birthdays & the start of school. Working and playing and, well, just a whole lot of living. Ain’t gonna be sorry about that. Nope.
2. Let’s see – Hen is 4. Wow. Let me try that again. Henry is four years old.
Nope. Didn’t sound any more possible that time either.
Birthday party was yesterday. A little affair for, oh, say, 20 of his closest friends and their parents. This was big for me. See, I don’t really ‘entertain’. I’m a bit frightened of people in large crowds, even when (especially when) I’m the hostess. What if they turn on me? What if the decorations are universally disliked? What if they eat my brains????? Ahem. None of that happened. A good time was, I think, had by all. And the birthday boy had no idea that guests traditionally bring presentses, so he was full of goodwill toward the world when child after child handed him a wrapped gift. Seriously, we’re going to have to revamp our toy storage policies posthaste.
But it went well, and I did my duty as ‘mother of the child in preschool with the earliest birthday’ by inviting everyone and giving everyone a chance to meet & chat up everyone else. Whew. Next year it’s five kids max, and we’re holding it at Chuck E. Cheese or something similarly vile.
3. Chickies are delightful. They’ve completely won over the neighbor who was iffy about the whole concept. In fact, she feeds them and calls for them when she goes outside, just like we do. Most. Spoiled. Pet. Chickens. Ever.
And 4 of the 5 are happily productive members of society, providing eggsies for us (& the nice neighbor) to eat every day. Still waiting on Miss Lilly, who’s taking her sweet time about maturing, but really, we’ve got plenty, so I’m not desperate for her to get with the program. It’s all good.
4. Manuscript is out with two new agents, which is keeping me refreshing my email rather more often than is
sane normal, but it’s all good. A bit of suspense to keep the creative juices flowing, etc. etc. And in the meantime, New Book is coming along nicely, if I do say so myself.
5. Stepdaughter’s wedding which–I must admit–I was dreading the hell out of since her mother’s freakout on the occasion of her sister’s wedding at the same venue 2 years before, turned out to be quite nice and non-confrontational.
It helped that my ‘date’ – a certain 4-year-old charmer – looked simply smashing in his pint-sized blazer and tie. And we danced the night away. At least until he fell asleep in my arms.
Truly – dancing crazy with your young son at an uncomfortable wedding is the best way to forget one’s worries. Can’t no one worry while boogying to the Beatles with a 4-year-old.
He’s a hell of a dancer. Gets that from his dad.
6. And I’ll try to check in more often. I’ve really been slacking. Sorry about that. Now that the party is over (whew.) real life can pick up again and honestly, I’m rather looking forward to settling back into my comfy routine!